Registration for Examination performances, study performances and modules

Special features according to module and examination form

On this page you will find the registration and de-registration modalities for exams as well as different module forms. We also provide information on the obligation to submit doctor's certificates. From now on, those certificates can also be submitted via an online form. If you have any questions, please contact the study office at any time.

At the Department of Mathematics you can register for examinations

  • Mid November until mid December for a winter semester
  • 1.-30. June for a summer semester

You must register via the electronic campus management system TUCaN.

All Information regarding examination dates can be found one Dates and deadlines .

Please read this guidance and FAQs about TUCaN!

Please note: If you want to register for an examination or study credits in a module that spans several semesters (e.g. analysis or linear algebra), you may have to wait until you enter the semester in which the module was registered.

For any other questions please turn to the Office for Student Affairs .

General Information on de-registration from exams

It is generally possible to withdraw from examinations up to eight days before the respective examination date.

You can withdraw from written examinations online via TUCaN.

In the case of oral examinations, you may send a message to the Office for Student Affairs via the contact form . If you do not withdraw in time and do not attend the examination, it will be marked as “failed”.

Withdrawal due to illness

If you are ill, you will need to submit a medical certificate that states the onset and end of the illness. The certificate must not be handwritten and must include the signature and stamp of the doctor issuing the certificate. The certificate must be delivered to the Office for Student Affairs within three days or no later than the following working day (Examination Regulations, § 15, para 2). Submission is possible via the contact form .

Additional information on the webpages of the Directorate II

When submitting the certificate please state the following:

  • matriculation number
  • name and date of examination(s)

You can use the withdrawal form (see Download area ) for this purpose and check the option “withdrawal with certificate”.

In order to meet the deadline, the certificate may be scanned and forwarded to the Office for Student Affairs via the online form .

If there is a diagnosis on the certificate, please black it out before submitting.

For some lecture modules, students are required to register for study achievements as well as for examination achievements in the respective lecture module provided that the module involves a study achievement. You can see which modules comprise both study and examination achievements when registering on TUCaN.

As a general rule:

All lecture modules in the Bachelor’s study programme include study achievements.

Lecture modules in the Master’s study programme do not usually include study achievements.

Please note that you must register for study achievements even if the lecturer does not specifically control the work you have done for the credit points (usually x percent of assignments).

Important: Unlike registering for examinations, registering for study achievements is only possible in the semester in which you attend the course.

Once you yourself have registered for the module and the relevant classes, you are not required to additionally register examination credits via TUCaN. Registration is automatic when a pass is entered.

For oral examinations in mathematics please initially register for the exam during the registration period via TUCaN. Please ask your examiner about the time and the procedure in which examination dates are set until the end of the lecture period.

Please differentiate between the following oral examinations for the procedure of scheduling dates.

Master specialisation examinations

An additional registration confirmation must be collected from the Office for student affairs . Please use this form to contact your examiner to arrange an appointment. The fully completed and signed appointment confirmation must be handed in one week before the examination date at the latest (but at least by the end of the current semester) in the Office for student affairs. Examination dates and any examinations taken which are not reported in good time to the Office for student affairs using the form are invalid.

Oral examinations – Maths students

For all other regular oral examinations, appointments can be made directly with the examiner and deposited in TUCaN by him/her. Please contact the examiner or his/her secretary directly for an appointment.

Oral examinations – students from other departments

For regular oral examinations, appointments can be made directly with the examiner and deposited in TUCaN by him/her. Please contact the examiner or his/her secretary directly for an appointment.

If an examiner does not want to make use of the independent appointment management, please inform us in the Office for student affairs of the examination dates (date, time and examiner) by email. Please also follow all the requirements of your home department for arranging examination dates (corresponding forms, etc.).

Important: All oral examinations must have been taken by the start of lectures in the new semester. If an appointment for an examination registered in TUCaN is not made on time with the corresponding form or the examiner and deposited in TUCaN, you will be de-registered by the Office for student affairs at the end of the semester (31.03./30.09.). You can only re-register in the following semester during the examination registration periods .

The specialisation examination in the Master’s programme covers several modules which means you do not have to register for and take individual exams, or accrue credits. In order to be assigned to support groups, however, or be able to use teaching materials, you can apply to the Office for Student Affairs for access to the module.

The specialisation module and specialisation examination (18 CPs) will be registered when you…

  • …have personally agreed on the examination contents with the examiner (usually specialisation lectures accruing 9+9 CPs, 9+5+5 CPs or 5+5+5+5 CPs). In doing so, you will have to demonstrate to the examiner that the contents covered are different from any others studied during your Master’s or Bachelor’s programmes.
  • …have attended the relevant teaching modules


Mathematics students are eligible to make a third attempt at an examination by sitting an oral examination even if oral examinations are not on offer in the respective semester. This is, however, only possible if the examiner is willing to hold this oral examination.

N.B.: In the case of a third attempt (oral), the student forfeits the right to a supplementary oral examination.

Steps to register a third attempt (oral):

1. Registration for written examination via TUCaN

2. Application for a third attempt (oral) at the Office for Student Affairs, so that an extra examination date can be arranged with the examiner.

3. Submission of completed registration, including the date of the extra examination, eight days before the earlier of the following dates at the latest:

  • the standard (written) examination date
  • the actual date of the extra (oral) examination

Registration must be submitted to the Office for Student Affairs; examination registration will then be amended on TUCaN accordingly.

You can register and be examined on modules that are not a component of your study programme. Upon request to the Office for Student Affairs, credits from so-called additional voluntary electives can be included on a separate credit list; the credit points and any grade awarded will not count into your degree. Normally, you do not have the right to request for the results of an examination that has been taken as an additional voluntary elective to be recognised subsequently for your ongoing or a later degree.

  • In addition to the required subjects, another module is attended out of pure interest. However, the performance achieved should be shown on the degree certificate.
  • Conditions were imposed upon admission to the Master's programme that must be fulfilled and are otherwise not shown in the transcript of records.
  • The degree programme or the field of study or the minor subject is to be changed, but it is already too late to change because of the start of the semester. However, the performance cannot be included in the current degree programme. Once the change has been completed, the voluntary achievements can be recognised. Please note: The transition from a Bachelor's to a Master's degree programme is not a change of the degree programme. Voluntary additional achievements can therefore not be used in consecutive Master's degree programmes. This is what the early Master's achievements are for (see next section).
  • If the minor subject is to be changed although achievements have already been made in the minor subject (substantial change), this is only possible once. The new minor subject should therefore be tested beforehand through voluntary additional achievements before the official change takes place. (When crediting voluntary additional work in the new minor subject, in case of doubt the worst creditable work will be credited first. The new minor subject cannot therefore be studied unofficially in order to select the best grades at the end).

In order to smooth your path from your Bachelor’s to your Master’s study programme, you can accrue up to 30 CPs for your Master’s programme during your Bachelor’s programme. Any exams you pass for early Master’s achievements will be treated exactly as they would if they had been taken during the Master’s programme itself.

  • Example 1: Modules which fall within the Master’s specialisation area can and should be registered via the Bachelor’s compulsory elective areas (especially areas A, B, C, D). The application for the Bachelor’s certificate will state which modules contribute to the Bachelor’s degree and which are being transferred to the Master’s programme.
  • Example 2: All other modules (e.g. subsidiary subject, mathematical specialisation, Studium Generale) have to be registered via the area “Early Master’s credits”.

We recommend that you complete a voluntary examination plan before registering for early Master's achievements, because ss soon as an early Master's examination has been taken, only those Master's courses can be studied in which the early Master's examination can be introduced. Therefore, a conscientious Master's programme planning is urgently required before Master's examination achievements are brought forward.

Since the PO 2018, it is no longer possible to include Master's courses in the Bachelor's compulsory elective area.

If you have made two failed attempts at an elective module you are not necessarily forced to complete the module; instead, you can replace it with a different module. (The relevant alteration in the General Examination Regulations, 5th amendment, was introduced on 1.10.2015.)

It refers to modules in

  • compulsory electives in mathematics (B.Sc.)
  • compulsory electives in Ü (B.Sc.)
  • the supplementary mathematical area (M.Sc.)
  • Studium Generale (B.Sc./M.Sc.)
  • Elective General Modules (B.Sc./M.Sc.)

Some modules are offered in German as well as in English. It is possible to change the module. Please contact the Office for Student Affairs.

To register for modules in the Language Resource Centre, particularly for the module “English for Mathematicians”, please take note of the procedures described on the Language Resource Centre website. You will usually have to take an assessment test before registering.