Work experience

Teaching degree (LaG, M.Ed.)

On the teaching degree courses, various phases of school and professional work experience are mandatory. Please consult the regulations (see LaG and MEd in download area). The Office for Student Affairs will be pleased to answer your questions.

Modules: Practical Phase III and School Experience II in Teaching Mathematics at Secondary Schools

In continuing to develop the course on Teaching Mathematics at Secondary Schools, the module “04-10-0093/de School Experience 2 – Mathematics” was re-named “04-10-0093/de Practical Phase III – “School Experience in Specialisation”. As of the Winter Semester 2017/2018, students who originally registered under the 2012 Examination Regulations but have not yet completed the module, can only register for the new module. When they collect their credit list in order to register for the state examination, the module will be changed by hand to “04-10-0093/de School Experience 2 – Mathematics” so that the credit list states the module in accordance with the examination regulations.

External work experience (B.Sc., M.Sc.)

On the Bachelor’s and Master’s courses together, you can take the module “External Work Experience” (5 CPs) once. In the respective regulations (see BSc and MSc download areas) you will find the areas in which the work experience can be done and a detailed description of the module.

Your work experience must be connected in some way to the professional activities of a mathematician, which must be endorsed by a lecturer in the department. Ideally, you should make a concrete suggestion before the work experience begins and discuss how to proceed with a lecturer who has professional knowledge of the respective field of work. Unfortunately, the Department of Mathematics is unable to offer work experience opportunities directly. If you are on the lookout for ideas, however, you might want to investigate the lecture series Maths today, tomorrow…?.

Work experience in industry

The department supports work experience in industry. On some courses, it can even count towards your degree (External Work Experience); on others, you can at least receive a certificate confirming that the industrial work experience was officially endorsed, provided that it involves training elements and meaningfully complements your degree, and thus increases your chances of finding a job in your chosen profession. This arrangement is not in place to promote underpaid work with no social security benefits. Working activities that do not have a concrete link to your chosen course can, therefore, not count towards your degree.

To receive authorisation, you merely have to send a short (approx. one page) description of your project to the chairperson of the Examination Board. S/he will decide whether the industrial work placement can be endorsed and issue the relevant certificate.

An industrial work placement can be undertaken on the following courses: Bachelor’s course from PO 2011 and Master’s course from PO 2017. This counts as external work experience and is worth five credit points.

Find a professor in the department who has a particularly close affinity with the industrial work placement you are intending to do and ask her/him to go through your project. S/he will then decide if it fits well with your course and whether s/he can help mentor you. You will feed back to this person and submit a final draft. You may well present your work experience during a seminar. It will then be recognised as external work experience.

Leave of absence

Please note that you can be granted leave of absence for degree-related work experience that takes up a large part of a semester.

Further information on TU’s central pages.