Math on Demand
Lively maths lectures on request
You are bound to have been asked the following questions:
- Why do I have to know that? What is the point of mathematics?
- What do mathematicians do all day? Don’t we already know all the formulae?
- Is mathematics just calculation or is there more to it than that?
Unlike other sciences such as physics, chemistry or computer science, the achievements of mathematics are perhaps somewhat less visible and tangible. But they are no less important for that; after all, mathematics is a fundamental component of many of the technical innovations we encounter every day.
We want to convey to your students
- how diverse and exciting maths can be
- all the places where mathematics can be found
- what sort of work mathematicians do
On request, we will offer talks on mathematics held by our lecturers – either at your school or in our department – in order to share interesting topics with your students that go beyond the material usually covered at school.