The research group Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing at TU Darmstadt, with support by the DFG Priority Program SPP 1420 Biomimetic Materials Research: Functionality by Hierarchical Structuring of Materials and by the Graduate School of Excellence Computational Engineering at TU Darmstadt, is organizing the
Multiscale Models in Mechano and Tumor Biology:
Modeling, Homogenization, and Applications
The workshop is aimed at presenting and discussing the state of the art and future perspectives in mathematical modeling and homogenization techniques with the focus on addressing key physiological issues in the context of multiphase healthy and malignant biological materials. The workshop will be interdisciplinary by bringing together scientists with complementary expertise, such as pure and applied mathematicians, engineers, and biophysicists. As part of the workshop, there will be a half-day introductory course on asymptotic homogenization. This is particularly intended to introduce PhD students and postdocs to this topic.
September 28-30, 2015
Technische Universität Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany.
The scientific events take place at Dolivostr. 15 (building S4|10), Lecture room 1.
- Multiscale and mathematical modeling of
- hierarchical (biological) materials,
- multiphase and fiber reinforced composites,
- fluid and drug transport in healthy and malignant tissues.
- Innovative homogenization techniques for multiscale models including
- asymptotic homogenization,
- representative volume element techniques,
- average field approaches.
- Numerical challenges and novel methods in the simulation of multiscale models.
- Alfio Grillo, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Mechanical and Transport Properties of Biological Systems: Microstructural-Based Constitutive Models and Inelastic Phenomena
- Quentin Grimal, Laboratoire d’Imagerie Biomédicale (LIB), UPMC Paris, France
Modeling apparent elastic properties of cortical bone at the millimeter scale for in vivo applications
- Alessandro Musesti, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore di Brescia, Italy
On the mathematical modeling of ageing in skeletal muscle tissue
- Raimondo Penta, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
Investigation of multiphase composites via asymptotic homogenization and its application to the bone hierarchical structure
- Kay Raum, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Multimodal and multiscale assessment of bone properties
- Rebecca Shipley, University College London, UK
New Mathematical Models for Tumour Mass Transport using Asymptotic Homogenisation
Contributed Talks and Posters
Participants are invited to present a 20 minute research talk (incl. discussion) or a poster. Please submit the abstract with your registration.
Registration, Abstract Submission, and Fee
The number of participants at the workshop is limited, so please register at your earliest convenience. Abstract submission for your contribution is also handled via this registration form. Please take care of the deadlines!
The workshop fee covers your participation in the scientific program of the workshop as well as the conference dinner, coffee breaks, and the excursion. There is an early bird rate available, on-site registration is discouraged:
- Registration fee, early-bird rate (payment received on or before August 1, 2015) is 75 EUR
- Registration fee, regular or on-site rate (payment received after August 1, 2015) is 100 EUR.
After registration, please pay the corresponding fee using the following account data:
Recipient: TU Darmstadt, Karolinenplatz 5, 64289 Darmstadt, Germany
Bank Address: Stadt- und Kreis-Sparkasse Darmstadt, Rheinstr. 10-12, 64283 Darmstadt, Germany
IBAN: DE 36 5085 0150 0000 7043 00
Reference: 042602/58200357 – M3TB – [Your Name]
Please make sure to include the full reference including your name when making the transfer; otherwise your payment cannot be identified.
In the case that you cancel your registration before September 1, 2015, seventy percent of the fee will be refunded; no refund can be made after this date.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Jun 15: Deadline: Submission of abstracts for contributed talks and posters
- Jun 20: Notification of acceptance for contributed talks and posters.
- Aug 1: Deadline: Early-bird rate for registration fee.
- Aug 28: Deadline: Booking of accommodation at Welcome Hotel with guaranteed rate.
- Sep 28-30: Workshop takes place.
Travel and Accommodation
- A comprehensive description of how to reach Darmstadt and the conference site (Lecture room 1, Dolivostr. 15) is provided by the Optimization Group at TU Darmstadt.
- Hotel rooms in Darmstadt book extremely quickly, so you have to be fast.
- We have reserved a block of rooms at the Welcome Hotel in Darmstadt for your individual booking.
- Double rooms for single occupancy incl. breakfast between August 27 and October 1, 2015 at a rate of 102 EUR per night; this block and the rate expire on August 28, 2015.
- In order to make a reservation, please contact the hotel by phone (+49 6151 39140) or email (info.dar(at)welcome-hotels.com) and refer to the booking code M3TB.
- Other suitable accommodation options in Darmstadt (near city centre and workshop location) are: Hotel Hornung | Hotel ibis Darmstadt City | Hotel Bockshaut | InterCityHotel Darmstadt | Youth Hostel Darmstadt.