- The Ruth Moufang Doctoral Prize can be awarded once a year to a woman who has been awarded a doctorate with a very good result in the Department of Mathematics at the TU Darmstadt. The doctoral prize is awarded by the Dean at the beginning of each year. A certificate for the doctoral prize is to be handed over at the graduation ceremony of the department.
- The Ruth Moufang Postdoctoral Female Promotional Prize can be awarded each year to a maximum of two outstanding female postdoctoral students working at FB Mathematik at TU Darmstadt. At the turn of the year, female postdocs can apply for the award with an independent research concept to the dean for the award. In addition to the idealistic award,
- the sponsorship award includes the commitment of the department to employ the prizewinner for one year on a full-time staff position;
- the release of the prizewinner from teaching for one semester, which is to be used to prepare an application for third-party funding to finance her own position;
- material resources amounting to 2,000 euros, which can be used, for example, for travel.
If desired, the prizewinner can also waive the position offered (e.g. if she has already received approval for a third-party funded research position), in which case the material funds increase to 10,000 euros.
The Dean appoints an annual commission including the Equal Opportunities Officer to award both prizes. It is possible to receive both prizes subsequently. However, the award of the Ruth Moufang Promotional Prize does not automatically result in the award of the Promotional Prize. However, Ruth Moufang doctoral prize winners are invited to apply for the sponsorship prize as well.
Winners of the Ruth Moufang Promotional Prize:
Dr. Nora Feldt-Caesar (doctorate on 28.04.2016)
Dr. Claudia Alfes (PhD on 05.02.2015)
Dr. Renate Nitsch (doctorate on 12.12.2014)
Dr. Jane Ghiglieri (PhD on 11.07.2014)
Dr. Pia Domschke (PhD on 17.02.2011)
Dr. Karolin Götze (PhD on 22.12.2009)
Dr. Sarah Drewes (PhD on 05.06.2009)
Winners of the Ruth Moufang Postdoctoral Female Advancement Award:
Dr. Mirjam Walloth (award ceremony on 02.06.2017)
- 1905: born in Darmstadt
- 1924: High school graduation in Bad Kreuznach
- 1925: Study of mathematics in Frankfurt (Siegel/Dehn/Hellinger/Epstein)
- 1929: State examination
- 1930: PhD at Dehn (Projective geometry of the plane)
- 1931-1933: Research stays in Rome and Königsberg
During National Socialism
- 1933: Lectureships in Frankfurt
- 1935: Dehn, Hellinger, Epstein removed from office, Szasz banned from teaching, Siegel leaves
- 1936: Habilitation attempt -- Moufang not admitted to the teaching trial as a woman
- 1937: Research assistant at Krupp Essen, 1942 head of department applied publications -- first female mathematician with a doctorate in industry
Post-war period in Frankfurt
- 1946: Venia Legendi
- 1962: full professor (first in mathematics in Germany)
- 1970: emeritus
23 doctoral students, but no more publications. Moufang felt she was sometimes disrespected as a woman.